Sunday 23 September 2012

Grungy Hearts

The theme over at Hel's Sunday Stamper this week is to use masks and/or stencils.  I always seem to get splodgy results with masks, so decided to use just a stencil, and a really basic one at that, the small hearts template from Crafters Workshop. 
I have used a 6'' x 12'' canvas, red, green and black PanPastels, tissue paper, some Kraft card that I have cut a mini tag out of, two Tim Holtz stamps, some Peeled Paint and Walnut Stain Distress Inks, black Stazon, and some modelling paste.



After covering the canvas with scrunched up tissue I used the stencil to make my three modelling paste hearts, never very good at icing cakes I didn't try to smooth the paste out too much, and left a slightly rough texture. 

Next the hard bit, letting the modelling paste dry.  So while that was happening I watched  the latest Inspector Montalbano episode on BBC iPlayer. I love the novels by Andrea Camilleri, and seeing that fabulous Sicilian scenery and sunshine was just right on a very wet and windy morning.  As the paste still wasn't dry I continued the Sicilian theme by making some Caponata to go with fish for dinner tonight. I'm sure Salvo would approve as what he eats is just as much part of the novels as the crimes he solves.

Eventually dry I then used PanPastels to colour my hearts and canvas, and was very bad and sprayed the fixative indoors,  I think it made the cats feel a bit funny, because they both laid down long enough for me to take a photo. So although it's a complete digression here are my two lovely fluffy Ragdolls.


Next was the mini tag cut out of Kraft cardstock and stamped with Peeled Paint DI  and Tim's flourish stamp, and a little bit of the long word strip also by Tim. The tag is grunged up with some Walnut Stain DI.


To finish off I swiped over the tissue with the Peeled Paint inkpad, added the twine and little bows, and distressed the edges of the canvas with more Walnut Stain DI


Have a lovely Sunday, even if it is raining.

4 comments:

Maggie said...

Gorgeous Tag Sue love the colour combo you've used. Fab picture of your cats I would so love to be owned by a Ragdoll Cat.....maybe soon! Cold and wet here DH gone to get logs in to light a real fire smashing!
MaggieH

Artyjen said...

Love, love , love that canvas and wasn't Montalbano fabby!
xoxo Sioux

Hels Sheridan said...

Oh, My! WORD!!!! Not only is this creation so you... it is also STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS. Seriously SUe, I LOVE what you do with your hearts, they all look so amazing. And, because you showed me that beautiful journal you did, I went and got some Pan Pastels... just need time to play with them now lol Look at your cute little fluffies.... they are beautiful too! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper x

Mrs Beez said...

This is gorgeous - love the way you have created the backround and the hearts are FAB!